Closing the gap
Linkforce Engineering recognise that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are a valued source of labour and we have a strategic target of 10% sustained Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment, representation and opportunities within the Linkforce group.
Linkforce Engineering is striving to:
- Be an employer of choice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders within Western Australia, specifically the Pilbara region.
- Increase employment opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders across all levels at Linkforce
- Foster and develop the employment pool of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander personnel within Linkforce.
ATSI Cross Cultural Awareness
All Linkforce employees complete an ATSI Cross Cultural Awareness program in order to gain an understanding of Aboriginal history and culture and to foster an inclusive environment that is respectful and responsive towards our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employees and people. The Linkforce ATSI Cross Cultural Awareness program imparts this by:
- Understanding how a person’s culture may inform their values, behaviour, beliefs and basic assumptions.
- Recognising that we are all shaped by our cultural background, which influences how we interpret the world around us, perceive ourselves and relate to other people.
- Helping employees to explore cultural issues more sensitively.
- Increasing employer and employee cultural knowledge by providing an overview of cultural characteristics and issues.
- Identifying individual needs and preferences and how to work with our valued ATSI employees
Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) – Reflect RAP
Linkforce Engineering is developing a Reflect RAP that clearly sets out the steps that Linkforce will take to build relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander stakeholders. By committing to a Reflect RAP, Linkforce will be able to spend time developing relationships, deciding on our vision for reconciliation and exploring our sphere of influence – before committing to specific actions or initiatives. This process will help to produce a future RAP that is meaningful, mutually beneficial and sustainable.
Linkforce Engineering is a multicultural organisation, which values and promotes ethnic, social, cultural and gender-related diversity in the workplace through its Equal Employment Opportunities strategy, Anti Bullying and Harassment Policy and Cross Cultural Awareness program.
Our diverse workforce provides us with:
- A broader range of ideas and insights to draw on in decision making and policy development
- A workplace that reflects the Australian community and understands and communicates with clients better, leading to improved service.
- A productive and fulfilling workplace which helps attract and retain employees and maintaining corporate knowledge and expertise.
- Our workplace diversity enriches our knowledge, capabilities and experience.
Linkforce Engineering is proud supporters of NAIDOC (National Aborigines and Islanders Day Observance Committee) week which is held annually in July.
NAIDOC’s origins can be traced to the emergence of Aboriginal groups in the 1920′s which sought to increase awareness in the wider community of the status and treatment of Indigenous Australians.
NAIDOC Week is held in the first full week of July. It is a time to celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and an opportunity to recognise the contributions that Indigenous Australians make to our country and our society.